How to Give
There are several ways to make your gift to the NIU Foundation to benefit Northern Illinois University.
Our new online giving form makes it easy for you to give to the area of your preference.Make a gift.
Call 1-877-GIV-2-NIU (1-877-448-2648) and a friendly representative will process your credit card gift.
One-time credit card or check gifts may be made using the Gift Form.
It’s easy for NIU faculty and staff to support the university with payroll deduction.
We accept the following gifts:
- Cash or check (payable to “Northern Illinois University Foundation”)
In person: NIU Foundation Altgeld Hall 134 DeKalb, IL 60115
By mail: NIU Foundation PO Box 746 DeKalb, IL 60115
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express). Online at www.niufoundation.org/give or call our toll-free number, 1-877-GIV-2NIU (1‑877-448-2648)(Please do not e-mail or fax credit card information as that is not a secure method of communication)
- Publicly traded stock
- Closely held securities
- Mutual fund shares
- Gift in kind/tangible personal property equipment, art, books, etc. items that are “related use”)
- Real estate
- Planned gifts/deferred gifts, such as
– Charitable gift annuity
– Charitable remainder trust
– Charitable lead trusts
– Life insurance policies (whole or term)
– IRA beneficiary designation
The Northern Illinois University Foundation is designated a non-profit under section 501(c)(3) as per letter ruling dated 1955.
Definition of a gift: an irrevocable, unconditional, delivered and accepted contribution.
Endowments generate earnings, a portion of which supports scholarships, teaching, programming, research, the libraries, and athletics. The principal is invested for the long term, sustaining Northern throughout even the most uncertain times. You can direct your gift to support a particular interest or to be used where the need is greatest.
More information about endowments
Through thoughtful estate planning, you can ensure that the important people and favorite causes in your life receive what you intend after you’re gone. The tools and resources on this site can help you learn more about preparing an effective estate plan and planning a gift to NIU.
More information about planned giving
To learn more about how you can make a difference at NIU, contact our gift planning department at 815-753-7470.